Whether because you don’t enjoy smoking or just like the idea of combining the pleasures of food with the high of marijuana, edibles are a great way to enjoy cannabis.
There are almost countless ways for you to integrate cannabis into the cooking process. This means whatever your preference, taste, or diet, there is surely an edible recipe for you. Appetizers, breakfast food, entrees, and of course desserts, all can be made with cannabis in the mix. This way you can get high on a full stomach.
Although before you cook with cannabis there are some things you should keep in mind.
Weed Strain- Be sure of what strain you are using in your cooking. If it is a cerebral high with some energy you’re craving then you will want sativa. If you want to relax during and after your meal then indica will be your go to. If something in the middle is what you want then cook with a hybrid strain. Though check on the specifics of the strain you are using because hybrids can vary wildly, sometimes leaning towards sativa or indica.
Dosage and Limits- Always be aware of how much cannabis you are cooking with and how much you can handle. Even if you feel like you know your limits it is best to be conservative with how much cannabis you use. Too much could make you sick in your stomach which no one wants to endure.
Edible High- While edibles avoid the concerns over smoking cannabis it should be noted that edible highs are more potent and longer lasting. Be aware of how much cannabis is in the portion you are eating because edible highs are also slower acting. So you may devour one portion then another if you do not feel the high yet. In addition to the risk of upsetting your stomach, consuming too much cannabis edibles can result in a bad experience.
We will start with a recipe necessary to make many other recipes that will appear on this list. Now while this list might not go through all the possible preparatory recipes (cannabis mayo, cannabis milk), cannabis butter itself is a core component of a lot of cannabis edible recipes. Depending on where you live you may be able to buy cannabis butter and similar cannabis ingredients but we thought you would like to know how to make your own with the strain of your choice.
Butter- 1 lb.
Ground Decarboxylated Cannabis- 1 oz.
- Use a saucepan to melt the butter until it reaches a simmer. Watch at all times to make sure the butter does not scorch.
- After the butter has finished melting, introduce the cannabis and mix.
- Simmer the mix on a low heat from 45 minutes to 1 hour if you are making more butter. Stir constantly and often. Butter should turn a dark green or brown.
- As the butter cooks, prepare a cheesecloth over a container.
- When the butter is done cooking, strain it using the cheesecloth. All liquid must be gone from the butter.
- Let butter chill overnight so that cannabutter and water can separate. Pour out water and your cannabutter is ready to use.
Peanut Butter Cookie Edibles
Almost everybody loves peanut butter and almost everybody loves cookies. Throw cannabis in the mix and what’s not to love?
Cannabutter (either homemade or purchased)- ½ cup
Vanilla- 1 teaspoon
Salt- ¼ teaspoon
Peanut Butter- 1 cup
Brown Sugar- 1 cup
Flour- 1 ⅓ cups
- Preheat your oven so that it is 176 degrees Celsius.
- Mix flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Place the peanut butter and the cannabutter in a DIFFERENT bowl then melt them in a microwave together.
- To the bowl of melted butters add the vanilla and egg. Mix them all together until they are liquid.
- Pour the butter-liquid mixture into the flour-sugar bowl. Thoroughly mix them all until you make a dough.
- Roll the dough into cookie-sized portions to be placed on a baking sheet that has already been lined.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 15 minutes. Afterwards let them sit on a cooling rack before consumption. Or not and risk burning your tongue for that gooey freshly baked cookie goodness.
Cannabis-infused Fettuccine Alfredo
If you’re hungering for a proper meal and not just a snack you can’t really go wrong with pasta. Easy to make but nonetheless tasty for it.
Dry Fettuccine Pasta- 24 oz.
Cannabutter- 1 cup
Heavy Cream- ¾ Pint
Romano Cheese, Grated- ¾ cup
Parmesan Cheese, Grated- ½ cup
Garlic Salt- 1 dash
(Optional) Salt & Pepper
- Lightly salt water in a large pot then bring it to boil.
- Put dry pasta into the boiling pot. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. When ready drain the water (carefully) from the pot.
- Using the saucepan and low heat melt down the cream and the cannabutter.
- Add the dash of garlic salt as well as salt and pepper according to your taste to the saucepan.
- Add cheese to the saucepan, bring it up to medium heat, and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Pour sauce onto pasta. To prevent any waste of cannabutter do not let any of the sauce go to waste. Use it all and try to coat the pasta as much as possible. Dinner is served!
Red Velvet Cannabis-infused Pancakes
Want to enjoy cannabis as part of your breakfast with a hint of decadence? Try this recipe for red velvet pancakes that have been infused with cannabis.
Cannabutter- ½ cup, melted and split into two halves
Buttermilk- 1 ½ cup
All-Purpose Flour- 1 cup
Organic Cane Sugar- ⅓ cup
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- 3 tablespoons
Red Food Color- 1 teaspoon
Baking Soda- ½ teaspoon
Salt- ½ teaspoon
Powdered Sugar- 3 tablespoons
- Mix egg, milk, and cannabutter in a small bowl then whisk. Be thorough with your whisking.
- In a different bowl mix salt, flour, baking soda, sugar, and cocoa powder. Be thorough with your mixing.
- Add the contents of the milk-butter bowl to the flour-sugar bowl. Whisk until the batter is somewhat lumpy. This will mean the ingredients have combined.
- Take your pan and heat it over a medium heat for approximately 60-90 seconds.
- Butter your pan to prevent sticking. Pour batter into ¼ cup for each pancake before pouring onto the pan. How many pancakes you cook at a time may depend on the size of your pan.
- You should cook the pancakes for approximately 2 minutes. If the top is bubbly or the edges have set up, move to the next step.
- Gently flip each pancake. Let the pancakes cook for an additional 1-2 to make sure they are thoroughly cooked.
- Repeat the process until all the batter has been used up.
- Dust the powdered sugar on top of the finished pancakes. Then serve with your choice of toppings and syrups.
We hope you enjoy these tasty recipes!
What cannabis edibles recipes have you tried? What did you enjoy the most?